Monday, October 27, 2008

Sunday Brunch and Fall drive to Twisp and Winthrop



















Since moving to this beautiful part of the state, we have made it a tradition to always make a Fall drive to Twisp and Winthrop WA.  My morning started off by a delicious breakfast made for me by Kevin.  Then we were off!

This drive is one of the most scenic drives around.  It takes you along the eastern side of the Columbia River, on through the Methow Valley, almost stumbling upon these 2 picturesque small towns.  Twisp is quaint and has a great pub called Twisp River Pub.  Good beer, great food and the locals are super nice. If you hit a weekend night, you can usually catch a live music.

Just down the road, less than 10 minutes is Winthrop.  Winthrop is literally a flash back in time.  It is a themed town like Leavenworth, but much smaller.  The theme rather than Bavarian, is old western.  From plank wood walkways to store fronts, it looks like something from a John Wayne movie.  Every time we go, we go to my favorite glass blowing shop and I buy a "collectible," and then we walk the shops.  We also discovered a great mini golf course!  It was 18 holes and very creative.  We also could not miss the candy shop, all homemade by the lady in the picture.  YUM!  Outside the shop, they had a fortune telling machine like the one from the movie "Big!"  Except instead of a genie it was an old miner telling our fortune.  It was awesome.

We then end our trip with a new restaurant.  Like always, it was a great day trip and and the fall leaves never disappoint!  

3 comments:

Lacey Lichi said...

Hey there! I am so happy that you are on here. I wonder about you guys ALL of the time. I love being able to keep up with you, at least a bit, through this medium. Can we come be your neighbors in Italy if you ever go?! Give each other BIG hugs for me!

Stacie said...

I wish there was a direct flight to Winthrop from Boston, I love it!
XO

SarahDB said...

Awesome. D that is so beutiful. I love all of your fall posts! Keep them coming Johnsons.

I miss you guys!