Thursday, May 21, 2009

Birthday Reflection.......

Wish I had a "Jamie" cupcake today:)

Me 3 weeks ago...even bigger now.

Wow, 29 sure came fast. Today is my birthday. Yep. Another year older and definitely not counting. I'm searching. Searching for a way to slow down time.

The days between Christmas and my birthday used to take FOREVER when I was a child. What happened? Do children experience time in slo-mo, or are adults so unaware of every precious moment of every single day that they let time slip by?

It’s not unusual for birthdays to trigger an annual bout of reflection and mine is no exception. I’ve been thinking about the good bits of having a birthday and it’s nothing to do with presents… well okay, it’s a bit to do with presents! No, I’ve been thinking more along the lines of how they tend to reconnect you to the important people and things in your life which makes them events to be celebrated.
I’m not sure I’ve been particularly good in the past at nurturing my capacity to enjoy the ‘little things’ in life but I find myself doing it more and more as I get older. Maybe it’s my reaction to living in what I describe as ‘exaggerated times’ where we have developed increasingly inflated expectations in terms of what is our due.

(Advance warning of a mini rant here folks)…. For example, when exactly did it become obligatory for proposals to take place up the Eiffel Tower, in a hot air balloon or in flashing lights on city advertising boards? And whilst I’m in the groove here, what’s happened to good old stag nights or hen parties – when did it suddenly become mandatory for them to become week long occasions in a foreign location, rather than the customary one night of excess in some local pub or club? Yes, I know I sound like a grumpy woman here but if we’re always looking for and anticipating the next big event the ‘little things’ can easily slip by unnoticed.
So allow me to this indulgence on my birthday as I acknowledge just some of the all important, yet often overlooked ‘little things’ for which I am truly grateful …. a homemade birthday cake… a cup of tea in bed… waking up to my husband every morning....phone calls from my parents and wonderful sister...the smell of spring… the kicking within me of my unborn daughter… receiving a hand written letter… oh yes, and the wonderful get togethers with my friends (like last night) that made me feel oh so special.

Here is to another great year and to enjoying the little things in life. I love you all:)

DeLane & Parker Lilly :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a great birthday! You look great also. Keep the pics and updates coming :)

Courtney said...

D you are so cute, and oh so right! I love moments of clarity and realization like that...
Happy Happy birthday my friend!!